If you're not sure a drug-free workplace is right for your company, think about these facts and how they directly affect your company's bottom line.
- Employees who abuse substances (on or off the job) work at only two-thirds of their productivity.
- Drug and alcohol abusers increase employer healthcare costs by 300-400% as they account for a disproportionate number of medical claims and benefits usage.
- Substance abusers are absent 16 times more often than other workers – causing lost productivity and overwork of non-abusing employees and higher replacement costs.
- Employers who employ substance abusers report more thefts of tools, equipment, office supplies and personal belongings of other workers, as well as other items and expense account fraud.
The statistics on injury and death are even more staggering.
- Drug and alcohol use is involved in 47% of industrial injuries and in 40% of industrial deaths.
- Drug and alcohol abusers are 3.6 times more likely to have an accident on the job and 5 times more likely to have an accident off the job.
- Substance abusers have 5 times as many workers' comp and health care claims as non-abusers.
- 38-50% of all workers' comp claims have alcohol and other drug involvement.
- If an employee is under the influence and injures himself/herself in a workplace accident, he/she is 40% more likely to involve a co-worker in the accident.
Employers who have a drug-free workplace can take advantage of many workers' compensation premium savings opportunities, including up to 90% premium discount over the course of five years in Ohio. Grant monies, such as Ohio's Safety Grants, are available to assist employers with the costs of operating drug-free.
Working Partners® serves close to 1,700 clients in a wide range of industries. Regardless of what business you're in, your company needs an effective drug-free workplace program. Working Partners® can help you reduce the high costs of workplace substance abuse and improve safety, reduce company liability and maximize available workers' compensation and insurance benefits.